Tuesday, September 4, 2007

France III - Avignon

The very old aquaduct behind the relatively young travellers
On our next to the last day we went to Avignon, stopping along the way at Pont du Gard. The Romans had wanted to bring in fresh water to Nîmes to cool and water the homes of the aristocracy, so in 48 AD they build an aqueduct from Uzès to Nîmes. Along the way they had to cross the Gardon, a major stream, so they build a three tiered bridge 48 meters over it. This bridge is still miraculously intact, and truly impressive.




From there to Avignon and its walled inner city surrounding the Palace of the Popes. We quickly found out that trying to drive inside the walls was not a good idea, and found a parking lot along the Rhone, within easy reach of the center. After a quick stop at the tourist office it was, you guessed it, lunch time, where Susan had brochettes of maigret du canard and I had moules pommes frîtes – both great. We then spent about 2 hours taking an audio tour of the palace, learning more than even I wanted to know about the period of their “captivity” there in the 14th Century. It was interesting and impressive, but we were both happy to leave for a cool drink in the square in front.
View from the Pont back to the Popes' Castle




Our last stop was the famous Pont d’Avignon” which was built in the 12th Century as the first bridge coming up the Rhone. It had been broken by flood waters in the 16th Century and never repaired completely, so it only spanned about a fifth of the river now, but still is a must, even if we didn’t dance there! Today is our last day, and as I write Susan is preparing us for tomorrow’s trip to Switzerland and monitoring the street traffic. We’ll walk around a bit more (one more local museum to visit), divide our meals as usual, and send off our blog. What a wonderful stay! We must STILL agree with Dorothy, however: there is no place like home!
Lunch with our tower apartment in the back

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am truly amazed that without Frank or myself to guide him, Rance has not wandered off into the hinterlands. Kim & I were thinking of you and your Gigondas adventures (we were sipping Kendal Jackson) while I had to settle for a Phillies Blunt. Life is sometimes not fair.

We stayed in Akron over the weekend and watched Army get dismantled by Akron - actualy they did it to themselves. LAK

JoAnne said...

I can't believe that bridge is still standing! Did you travel over it? Those Romans...

Thanks for the history lesson! We love you.

JoAnne, Mitch & Dorian

JoAnne said...

By the way, years ago, in another life, I used to sing about that bridge in the French School: "Sur le pont D'Avignon, on y danse, on y danse, Sur le pont D'Avignon, on y danse tous en rang..."

So nice to put an image to a familiar melody.

Grance said...

Yes, we danced on the bridge, albeit slowly, and then moved back to the rive gauche for our trip home, where I smoked a magnificent Habaneros Montecristo #2 cigar. Sounds fair to me!

Rance

Amy Weichel said...

Did I just read that correctly, Rance? Did you just say that you learned more than you needed to know about some point in history???? INCONCEIVABLE. And yes, thata' word meansa' what I thinka' it means! :) So glad you loved Uzes.

Oh-- and to brag on myself for a moment-- my 50 year old male client cried in open court today after I managed to get the judge to modify an order for him, allowing him to return home. He was so relieved. I done good!! :)

bookclub10 said...

Col. and MRS Farrell, We are delighted that you are having such a fine adventure abroad. There is however some concern about your overindulgence in the rich foods and wines. Being the good friend and cohort that I am leads me to look over your best interests and health. I have made arranements for a long stay at a spa and Detox center to hopefully return you to a modicum of your former selves. Do not worry about the expense for your treatment as I have made arrangements for the sale of your house. Rob

Grance said...

You know, all this wonderful wine and food does has its price, but Susan and I are willing to pay it for the sake of documenting our travels properly. My good friend Rob's proposal to sell our house to pay for our detox is the sort of help I have learned to expect from him, but since we had already taken out a second mortgage on his home to pay for this trip,it won't be necessary!